Wednesday 6 July 2016

Office of Electoral Integrity

I have been made aware by campaigners of an EDM relating to the establishment of an Office of Electoral Integrity. I am conscious that this issue will be preeminent in the minds of many people as we come out of the EU referendum campaign, where claims and counter-claims were made and political commitments were made, which were later found to be questionable. I have been disappointed to see those who advocated for a ‘Leave’ vote turn around on so many of the pledges made in the campaign – particularly the misleading claim about how much money could be given to the NHS in the eventuality of a ‘leave’ vote.

I am aware that there are a number of resources which perform a similar function to that suggested for an Office of Electoral Integrity. I am open-minded about how we can ensure that political debate is measured, evidence-based and avoids misleading the public, but I believe that any specific proposals should be very carefully considered. I will follow the progress of these proposals with interest and I look forward to the possibility of them being debated in Parliament in the not too distant future.